May 19, 2013

Handmade Gifts- Body Scrub

Lavender and Rose Salt Scrub and Orange Dreamsicle Sugar Scrub.


lavender and rose and dreamsicle

Lots of new things going on around here lately! Mother's Day weekend was over 100 degrees and what did we decide to do?  Sod our front yard and go on a walking tour of old homes in Monrovia, of course!  We survived and as you can see from my photo I just HAD to use our new grass as a backdrop for my homemade body scrubs, which were my gift to my Momma on her special day. 

Each Mother's Day, the town I live in has a tour of old or historical homes.  It was something we used to do with my Grandma many, many years ago we decided to go again this year.  It's really amazing how much pocket windows, crown moulding, roll-up screens, built-in cabinets and picture rails can get me excited.  I guess I was destined to own an older home, and I was excited to see the potential beauty my 1917 Craftsman style house can have in a few years. 

As far as the body scrubs are concerned, they make one of the easiest homemade gifts and most of the ingredients some straight from your pantry at home.  I've made body scrubs with salt, sugar, or coffee.  I've heard that the coffee is good for cellulite, but I cannot atest to any such claims 1 ;) I've made scrubs with coconut oil, almond oil, and olive oil.  Use mild smelling oils and try to avoid mineral oil, as it is not good for your skin and can clog your pores.  When it comes to the scents, one of the easiest ways to get great smelling, good for you scrubs is with essential oils.  Whole Foods and other specialty grocery stores carry essential oils, I especially like peppermint essential oil.  I even grabbed some lavender from the spice and tea man at the Farmer's Market and picked some rose petals from my bush outside to create this salt scrub. 


Orange and Vanilla Dreamsicle Sugar Scrub

Makes about 1 half pint

1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp honey
zest of half a large orange
juice of half a large orange
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium sized, microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave by doing 5-10 second intervals.  Add the rest of the ingredients together and stir to combine.  Depending on the consistency you want you can always add more sugar or oil.  Store in an air tight container.  Keeping it in the fridge can prolong its freshness. 


Lavender Rose Salt Scrub

Makes about 1 half pint

1 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp dried lavender
2 tbsp dried rose petals, crumbled
3-5 drops lavender essential oil

In a medium sized, microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave by doing 5-10 second intervals. Add the rest of the ingredients together and stir to combine. Depending on the consistency you want you can always add more salt or oil. Store in an air tight container. Keeping it in the fridge can prolong its freshness.

Be careful when using a salt scrub to not use it after shaving, as it can be very harsh.   

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment